Dr. Punita Grover is a consultant Child Psychiatrist at Ahmedabad.
She got 3rd rank in her 1st year and completed her MBBS with first class honors from Pramukh Swami
Medical College, Sardar Patel University, India. She went to the UK for her MRCPsych from the Royal
College of Psychiatrists. Later got the Certificate of Completion of Specialist Training in 2012.
Bagged a Gold Medal for highest grade in Community Medicine, Sardar Patel University.
She’s been involved in formal and non-formal teaching at various levels with use of
different teaching tools and methods to suit different styles of learning.
An ex-consultant at Leicestershire Partnership NHS Trust, UK. Received training in Cognitive
Behavior therapy, Dynamic Psychotherapy, Motivational Enhancement Therapy and Interpersonal Therapy.
Her areas of interest are CBT for Depression and anxiety spectrum disorders, Child and
About the experience in psychotherapy
- Psychodynamic Psychotherapy (2006-09): Completed individual long term psychotherapy case with
weekly group supervision.
- Interpersonal Psychotherapy..
- Undertaken individual sessions based on Motivational Enhancement therapy for patients with drug
and alcohol dependence.
- Cognitive Behavioural therapy long case (2006).Had an experience of using cognitive behavioural
therapy to treat adults and children with obsessive compulsive disorder, phobias and anxiety
About the audits
- LPT Trust wide DNA audit 2013.
- Study on DVLA- a Survey of Psychiatrists 2013
- Audit on Benzodiazepine and hypnotic prescribing.
- Audit on compliance with Care pathway for Personality disorder- 2013.
- Re-audit of DVLA
- POMH UK metabolic monitoring audit June’12
- Section 17 leave audit- April’12
- Evaluation of Consistency of Management of Referrals from Primary Care (2010)
- “Audit of Psychiatrists’ understanding of DVLA Regulations and its Implication in Clinical
practice” 2009 – yearly update on DVLA regulations incorporated in doctor’s training programme
and included in CPA.
- “Role of Interpreters in Psychiatric outpatients clinics in inner city Leicester” – completion
of audit cycle 2005 – 08.
- “Have patients admitted to Child and adolescent mental health Inpatient Unit received a physical
examination within 24 hours of admission” 2007.
- “Medical Admission Documentation at Leicester General Hospital” 2005
- “Lithium monitoring in patients attending psychiatric Day Hospital” 2004
Research areas and clinical projects
- "Regional survey of trainees about psychotherapy training (second cycle)"
The first cycle highlighted the wide variation in training within and between deaneries; we
provided feedback to the training leads and completed the second cycle.
- National survey of training in perinatal psychiatry,
This survey showed the variations in opportunities for training in perinatal psychiatry and
highlighted the interest of trainees in this area.
- Nationwide study on ‘ECG training for Psychiatrists’ a THOTH project
Surveys showed skills required for interpretation of ECG were lacking amongst psychiatrists.
Nationwide survey on ‘Satisfaction with Gender realignment service’
Study findings revealed early age for surgery in accurately diagnosed patients with meaningful
support, equality in access to services and reducing post-operative complications were
considered to be important factors by our patients. Incorporating these factors should
contribute to improved services for this specialist group of patients.
- Trainee survey on “Seclusion in Psychiatric Setup: Understanding of Senior House Officers” –
seclusion training and information on Trust policy incorporated in Trainees’ induction
- “Brain Injury Scoping Project” (2007-08) –Looking at clinical needs and deficits in the current
system which provides care for patients with Brain injury. One of the proposals is to develop
community service to meet the existing clinical demands.
- European Huntington’s disease Network project (Feb-Aug07)- involved recruiting people with
Huntington’s disease on an electronic data base. My brief involvement with this project helped
to develop my understanding of working in a research project and formed the basis of my interest
in research projects.
Her publishing works include
- Grover P, Ahmed A, Lazarus R, Noushad F. Training in Perinatal Psychiatry- Results of a Survey
of Psychiatry Trainees Across England’, Perinatal newsletter 2012.
- Khoosal D, Grover P and Terry T. Satisfaction with Gender realignment service. Sexual and
Relationship Therapy, (February 2011), Vol 26:No. 1, Page 72-83.
- Grover P. Review of Interpreter usage, Bulletin of Transcultural Special Interest Group of Royal
college of Psychiatrists, Spring 2008
- Grover P, Muhammad S, Thomas D. Role of interpreters in Psychiatric outpatient clinics. Bulletin
of Transcultural Special Interest Group of Royal College of Psychiatrists. Spring 2007
She's been a part of many national and international conferences for poster presentation
- Fitness to drive in patients with Severe Mental Illness-
Girish Kunigiri, Bal Powar & Punita Grover; ANCIPS India’13.
- Non-attendance in psychiatric outpatient clinic-
Vesna Acovaski and Punita Grover; Clinical audit conference’13.
- Compliance with completion of section 17 leave forms-
Punita Grover, Rachel winter and Farhana Ahmed; International Conference’12.
- Non-attendance at psychiatric multidisciplinary review clinics in Leicester Psychosis and Early
Intervention Service -
Punita Grover, Shiraz Ahmed & Debasis Das
General and Community Psychiatry, Annual residential conference 2011
- Survey of Psychotherapy training – experience and attitudes among trainees -
Fabida Naushad, Punita Grover; Trent Division RCPsych conference, 2011
- Evaluation of Vocational Intervention in the Leicestershire Early Intervention in Psychosis
Service. P Grover, Kim Weeks, Claire McQuade, Rebecca Stewart & Debasis Das
Royal College International Congress, June 2011
- Assessing need for ECG training for Psychiatrists- a Nationwide THOTH study survey -
A Arora, P Grover; Royal College International Congress, June 2011
- Ethnicity Trends in a First Episode Psychosis Service
Zarina Anwar, Shiraz Ahmed, Punita Grover & Debasis Das
Royal College International Congress, June 2011
- Individual Placement and Support in an Early Psychosis Service. -
P Grover, Kim Weeks, Claire McQuade& Debasis Das
17th International Congress for the Psychological Treatments of Schizophrenia and other
Psychosis, Dubrovnik, June 2011.
- National survey of trainees on training in perinatal psychiatry -
F Noushad, P Grover, A Ahmed, R Lazarus
Royal College section of perinatal psychiatry annual conference, Nov 2010
- ‘Survey of Psychiatrists’ understanding of DVLA Regulations and its Implications in Clinical
P Grover & Suheib Abu-Kmeil; Trent division conference, 2010.
- Evaluation of referrals to community mental health teams in Leicestershire -
F Noushad, P Grover, G Kunigiri; Trent division conference, 2010
- Audit of the role of Interpreters in Psychiatric Outpatient clinic in Inner City Leicester. -
Punita Grover, Dan Kinnair & Saquib Muhammad, RCPsych conference 2008.